Tuesday, March 30, 2010

OLJ Task #2 Second Life immersion PD session Part 1 30/3/10

Earlier today I, aka Giaan Neutron, ventured into the world of Second Life to attended my first virtual professional development session. It was quite an experience. It took some time to get used to using the avatar and the sense of moving around in a completely different space. Firstly, it was strange to feel submerged in an underwater world with the sounds of bubbles and the sights of fish swimming past. Simple tasks like changing one's clothes, picking up a cup of coffee and sitting down were difficult tasks to master.  Somehow during the session Giaan ended up swinging away suspended up in a chair watching the proceedings during my flurried, concerted efforts to sit her down.   :) 

I have to admit that I was a little confused and put off by the constant questions and comments that appeared in the local chat. I found myself trying to listen to the conversations and then trying to read what appeared in the local chat box. In the end I just tried to listen to the presentation. 
 

Zhang (2007) describes novice Second Life users experiences as steep learning curves, which is certainly true. I was intrigued by the 'in-world' environment of interaction and real-time talk with other participants whereby I could sense the sharing of ideas and experiences among like-minded individuals. This valuable experience enabled me to hear first-hand how school educators use virtual world technologies to connect with their students. The features of virtual worlds have immense opportunities to enhance and support learning experiences. Groups can create and watch presentations, partake in online meetings, discussions, lectures and conferences worldwide without distance being an issue. Professional networking and development can be increased as individuals can join groups with shared interests. The use of avatars appear to allow freedom through anonymity that may encourage individuals to be more open in what they share with others.

Following this immersion into Second Life I feel that virtual worlds offer enormous potential for distance education. It facilitates an authentic e-learning environment with virtual lectures and tutorials possible. It enables students to interact and connect with one another, creating a sense of community and closes the isolation gap that many distance education students experience. thereby enhancing the learning experiences. Zhang (2007) supports the notion of virtual worlds enhancing distance education students' learning experiences by suggesting that these platforms provides teachers and students with opportunities to have real classroom experiences and interactions. 


Reference

Zhang, J. (2007). Second Life: Hype or reality? Higher education in the virtual world. Retrieved March 30, 2010, from http://deoracle.org/online-pedagogy/emerging-technologies/second-life.html

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment