Virtual Worlds - Implementing a Virtual Worlds Program in a Traditional School Environment
Jokaydia Unconference May 30, 2010
During INF506 I have been keen to explore how schools and school libraries use virtual worlds to provide richer learning experiences for students. Attending a session at the Jokaydia Unconference 2010 in Second Life provided me with opportunities to witness the potential of virtual worlds in education. Presented by Staff ICT Trainer Lucy Barrow, aka Avasari Blackburn (ISTE SL member), discussed Ballarat Grammar's long haul to having its virtual world presence. Not only does the school use Quest Atlantis, which is now embedded into the Grade 6 English curriculum, but this month (May) the school has opened to the community its own Open Sim virtual worlds space Begonia Island.
Barrow (2007) said the road to implementing a virtual world was a slow one at her traditional curriculum-based school. Initially administration and ICT were opposed to using Virtual Worlds in the curriculum because they didn't see the value in this form of learning and the firewall issues. Despite the problem that her school wasn't ready to implement curriculum change Barrow remained enthusiastic, persistent and determined not to give up. However, with school leadership changes Barrow's school trialled Quest Atlantis with her and other willing teachers. Such a success is Quest Atlantis with middle school students, Barrow considered the school needed their own private grid - Open Sim hosted by Reaction Grid - Begonia Island. This virtual space so that teachers and students can use it as a learning and teaching space. The 7 student project leaders not only builders but leaders by developing the code of conduct outlining the expectations of students and staff in the virtual world.
WHOA! I have been blown away at the potential virtual worlds offers students and teachers. Students have the opportunity to develop their problem solving skills, for example, solving avatar issues. In addition, students can be involved in independent, self-directed learning and there's a real purpose and meaning to their activities. The session was a great informative discussion on one teacher's experiences with implementing a virtual world platform at school. It was really interesting being in a 'virtual' room with other educators from all over the world communicating and sharing ideas with other educators interested in virtual worlds in education. I really enjoyed the in-world conference experience where I was able to experience the 3D environment where I felt like I was present at the session. For example, being able to follow the Powerpoint presentation made the experience very real.
I have attached a link to Lucy Barrow's Slideshare presentation from the session.
What have I learnt about using Virtual Worlds in education?
I have learnt that I should not feel disheartened if the school I work at is reluctant to explore virtual worlds. I have to remember that implementing change can be difficult, but I need to be thinking ahead and positive. At least now I have an understanding of the potential that virtual worlds can present to engage students in their learning. Maybe in future I can attend a Quest Atlantis training session, which are held quite frequently. I need to remember the name Bron Stuckey, aka Bron Bloxome, as she is a leading virtual worlds/Quest Atlantis educator. Work with the most willing teachers first and then others will see the flow on benefits and want to become involved.
References
Barrow, L. (2010). Virtual worlds: Implementing a virtual worlds program in a traditional school environment. Jokaydia Unconference 2010.
Lucy Barrow has also created this Prezi about using Quest Atlantis with Years 5-8 students.
YouTube clip on Quest Atlantis in education
No comments:
Post a Comment