Tuesday, June 22, 2010

INF506 Evaluative Report


INF506  Assignment 2 – Evaluative Report

a)      An evaluative statement of using 3 experiences documented in your OLJ as evidence of meeting the learning objectives of the subject (750 words)

This session of INF506 has been a whirlwind journey through the socially networked world.  This Web 2.0 world is about sharing, communicating, collaborating, user-created content, the myriad of tools and expanding one’s personal learning network (PLN) while being aware of privacy and online safety issues. In the library and information science realm Library 2.0 encompasses much of what libraries should be attempting to do to be part of this networked world to better serve its users needs. As a school librarian 2.0, I feel I have gained valuable experiences with tools and technologies that can enable me to participate in the continually evolving and changing information environment (Aharony, 2009).


While many social networking (SN) tools and applications, including Facebook, blogs and wikis, were familiar to me; others were a steep learning curve. By immersing myself in the SN environments encountered, including Twitter, Delicious, RSS and Second Life, I have come to understand how these can used in the teaching and learning context. In Twitter, Social Networking and Me (OLJ #1) I reflected on my engagement with the microblogging site Twitter and realised its potential as a powerful networking, professional development and information-seeking tool rather than a teaching tool. Individual’s Twitter experience is only as high quality as the people one follows and the information one shares (Walker, 2009). As a teacher librarian (TL) Twitter has become an important part of my digital life and has enabled me to be part of a group of professional educators – teacher librarians, teachers, academics – to find, share and build upon ideas and teaching practices. Valenza (2009) is a Twitter supporter because she believes her “best discoveries” in locating resources for her teachers are derived from her Twitter network.  For isolated TLs, or other educators, Twitter can reduce the isolation and bring a wealth of resources. The volume of tweets was overwhelming as was experienced by myself and fellow INF506 students. In my blog post I wrote that I was discerning over what tweets were worthy following up and saving to Delicious. This has helped me to be less overwhelmed by the volume of material presented. For educators, “Twitter is like a giant conference that’s on all the time” Anderson (2010).


Entering the virtual world (VW) platform Second Life was a new SN experience. At first I was dubious about VWs effective use in education. In Second Life immersion PD session and School education virtual worlds (OLJ #2 and #4) I was astounded by the rich 3D VWs learning environments that can enhance student engagement and learning. Barrow (2010) supports this view of VWs as providing engaging and flexible learning spaces that offer students opportunities to be creative and interactive with others. Student learning experiences in VWs are synchronous and encourage them to develop their 21st Century digital literacies. Through my avatar, Giaan Neutron, I experienced how VWs can bring people together worldwide to interact, collaborate, share information and learn from each other. Boulos, Hetherington and Wheeler (2007) believe that VW environments are ideal for distance education students to interact by reducing the isolation. In my OLJ entries I noted the problems inherent with learning VWs, which I believe may deter some schools from trialling and/or implementing such learning platforms. Davis (2008) confers the learning curve to VWs is high and time consuming because of the software and technological requirements involved. Attending three VW experiences has given me the confidence to attend future Jokaydia and other VW conferences so I can learn more about the potential VWs in education and network with experts in the field.


With the rise in SN people have never communicated and shared so much information about themselves to the world. James (2010) highlights the opportunities offered by Facebook, Twitter and other SN sites to collaborate and connect for social and professional reasons. This raises issues for students (and adults) in terms of privacy and online safety which is pertinent to schools. In OLJ Task #3 A-Z of Social Networking this area was discussed in terms of how and what school libraries could do to embrace a Library 2.0 ethos. If TLs are encouraging students to use Web 2.0 or SN sites to engage them in their learning then we have the responsibility to teach our students to be digital citizens and be aware of acceptable online behaviour. Barnes (2006) suggests that students are unaware that SN sites are repositories of personal information and they are not taking the steps to protect their information from being used by others. Consequently policies need to be devised to provide guidelines for users that can help protect individuals and organisations from inappropriate use (Kroski, 2009).


In conclusion, INF506 has reinforced the importance of using relevant SN and Web 2.0 tools for my school’s students, teachers and the wider school communities’ needs. As the information specialist in a socially networked world, it is critical that I assist students and teachers to effectively interact with information and leverage it to create and share (Valenza, 2009) it in a responsible and ethical manner.






b)      A reflective statement on your development as a social networker as a result of studying INF506, and the implications for your development as an infrmoaiton professional  (750 words).

Prior to undertaking INF506 my experience as a social networker was confined to Facebook. I had dabbled with Twitter and Delicious but did not fully understand how I could use it effectively as a teacher librarian (TL) nor did I explore the possibilities that social networking (SN) could afford me. Consequently, I did not consider myself as social networker. Now at the end of this subject I have changed this assessment of myself to one where I am an active and engaged social networker.   




My knowledge and experience of SN was limited to Facebook for personal communications and sharing with family and friends, to network and re-connect with people (De Rosa, Cantrell, Havens, Hawk & Jenkins, 2007). Steckerl (2007) reveals that through professional SN one can find new people to connect with via a common interest. My deep engagement in INF506 confirms my increasing SN abilities. I pursued many opportunities to immerse myself in the SN environment and understand how these tools could be used in school and academic libraries. I certainly was ‘social’ as in SN and participated and shared (Cavazza, 2008) among my colleagues. Throughout the course I explored and trialled new tools and applications including participating in the Facebook group, Second Life, photo-sharing via Flickr, Pageflakes, Prezi, I learnt to use Wikispaces (for assignment one). I really enjoyed actively contributing links and discussions to our Facebook group and sharing information via Twitter. My immersive Second Life experiences were the highlight of my learning this session. These experiences gave me the confidence to interact with others in a virtual world (VW) and took me out of my comfort zone, especially when I attended a Jokaydia Unconference 2010 session without accompaniment from my INF506 colleagues. I am excited at the prospects and potential educational value that VW offers students. I have since joined Jokaydia’s Facebook Group and plan to divulge into the Second Life and Quest Atlantis educators groups to pursue deeper understandings and experiences of using and implementing VW in schools.

I believe that I have embraced the SN phenomenon and its many challenges. While the INF506 journey has (almost) ended my development as a social networker will continue as I contribute to my PLN and be a life-long learner by becoming more familiar SN applications. SN is only as valuable as the amount of effort you want to put into it (Bax, 2009).

During the session I felt sometimes overwhelmed not only by the number of SN applications to explore and check, but also the wealth of information deriving from these. As previously stated in this report I was discerning about the usefulness of information to my work and study. To aid my achievement of this I installed Tweetdeck (2010) on my iPhone and Yoono (2010) on my laptop to help manage the flood of information from Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Linkedin. To further assist in my management of information I need to improve my understanding and use of RSS. I downloaded FeedDemon to my laptop but as yet I need time to further explore its uses and functions.   

As the school’s information professional it is essential that I exhibit the hallmarks of teacher librarian 2.0. I need to take the initiative and assist teachers and students to not only find information, but also to guide them with the best ways to use and share information among the school community and potentially a wider audience. The result of my efforts will hopefully assist the teachers and students to collaborate and “share the learning journey together” (Ferriter, 2009: 36) which is central to being participants in the socially networked world. 

As an information professional I must continue to explore and experiment with existing and emerging SN applications. This is critical so I can evaluate the appropriateness of various tools for students’ and teachers’ needs for academic, communication or recreational purposes. This notion was reinforced during my Professional Experience placement at Swinburne University of Technology library when I questioned why certain tools were implemented while others were not. I discovered that was not possible to offer a myriad of SN tools in an attempt to reach all library users.  Swinburne University Library’s Online Services and Strategies Manager Teula Morgan (personal communication, June 15, 2010) said academic libraries (I consider all libraries) needed to be conscious of its users’ cultural differences and the potential to be exclusive. For example, the Swinburne Library does not have a Facebook page because many of its users are of an Indian descent that uses Orkut as their primary SN site. Harvey (2009) emphasises the importance of using the right SN tool for the particular library context because not all applications will be appropriate for all situations.

This subject has planted the seed for my continuing development as a social networker in the library and information profession. It has no doubt given me an advantage over other TLs. I am equipped with the knowledge and experience of an array of Web 2.0 and SN tools that many schools so desperately seek from TL in this digital world.  


References


Ahrony, N. (2009). Web 2.0 use by librarians. Library and Information Science Research, 31(1), 29-37.
Anderson, S.W. (2010). Social networking goes to school. In Education Week. Retrieved June 23, 2010,     from http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2010/06/16/03networking.h03.html
Barnes, S. B. (2006). A privacy paradox: social networking in the United States. In First Monday, 11(9). Retrieved June 24, 2010, from http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1394/1312

Barrow, L. (2010). Virtual worlds project proposal - Reaction Grid. Retrieved June 22, 2010, from http://www.slideshare.net/lucybarrow/virtual-worlds-project-reaction-grid


Bax, A. (n.d). Importance of social networking. Retrieved June 21, 2010, from http://www.gaebler.com/Importance-of-Social-Networking.htm
Boulos, M., Hetherington, L. & Wheeler, S. (2007). Second Life: An overview of the potential of 3-D virtual worlds in medical and health education. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 24(4), 233-245.
Cavazza, F. (2008). Social media landscape. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from http://www.fredcavazza.net/2008/06/09/social-media-landscape/
Davis, D. (2008). A paradigm earthquake: The power of 3D virtual worlds. In Special Education Technology Practice. September/October, 16-24.  
De Rosa, C., Cantrell, J., Havens, A., Hawk, J., & Jenkins, L. (2007). Sharing privacy and trust in our networked world: A report to the OCLC membership. Dublin, Ohio: OCLC. [ebook] Retrieved March 1, 2010, from http://www.oclc.org/reports/pdfs/sharing.pdf
Ferriter, B. (2009). Learning with blogs and wikis. Educational Leadership, 66(5), 34-38. 

Harvey, M. (2009). What does it mean to be a Science Librarian 2.0? In Issues in science and technology librarianship, (Summer). Retrieved April 26, 2010, from http://www.istl.org/09-summer/article2.html

James, M. L. (2010). Cyber Crime 2.0 versus the Twittering classes. Parliament of Australia, Department of Parliamentary Services, Parliamentary Library Information, analysis and advice for the Parliament. Science, Technology, Environment and Resources Section, 24 February 2010 (2009-10). Retrieved June 23, 2010, from http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/pubs/bn/sci/Cybercrime.pdf
Kroski, E. (2009). Should your library have a social media policy? School library journal, 55(10), 44-46. Retrieved June 20, 2010, from http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6699104.html
Steckerl, S. (2007). Survival guide: Online social networking. FUMSI, (September). Retrieved June 23, 2010, from http://web.fumsi.com/go/article/use/2346
TweetDeck (n.d). About TweetDeck. Retrieved June 23, 2010 from http://www.tweetdeck.com/about/
Valenza, J. (2009). 14 Ways K-12 Librarians Can Teach Social Media. In Tech & Learning. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from http://www.techlearning.com/article/23558
Walker, L. (2009). Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. Retrieved June 22, 2010, from http://mrslwalker.com/index.php/2009/03/29/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter/
Yoono. (n.d). About Yoono. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from http://yoono.com/about.html

No comments:

Post a Comment