In Henri's reading on the information literate school community (ILSC) , he attempts to define what is an ILSC. While an ILSC is not a physical place as such, it is more of an idea that a school could aim to develop. In an ILSC the entire school community's (this not only includes students but also teachers, administrators, other staff, parents) focus is on the learning process, which essentially means how to be informed. In an ILSC all teachers need to act as role models for the students by being informed and information literate. Teaching staff share knowledge and information with each other in order for one to be more aware of their own knowledge and skills. Collaboration between staff members is a key ingredient to an ILSC. The Principal plays an essential role in the ILSC. The leadership shown by Principals can instill in other teaching staff a willingness and direction to collaborate to become an ILSC.
The teacher librarian's (TLs) role in an ILSC is one that facilitates collaboration and implement PDP programmes that help staff to understand the importance of information literacy and offer strategies to integrate it into their teaching. Henri believes that the TL is a leader for change within schools. Not only are TLs the experts in information literacy instruction but also are knowledgeable on the latest technologies and resources, copyright and plagiarism. In my current school I believe the TL doesn't have such a leadership role that Henri talks about. I feel that the TL is strictly timetabled into just teaching the Years 7 and 8 reading programme and there's no means of implementing an integrated information literacy instruction for students.
I hope that by the time I finish this subject 401 that I will be better equipped to, over time, become more of an expert and curriculum leader in the school and not just be type cast into the reading programme. I wish to help become an ILSC whereby the school teaching staff are willing and happy to collaborate with one another on creating units of work that not only teach content but also information literacy skills. It is the students who are currently missing out on such vital collaborative instruction.
No comments:
Post a Comment