The TLs role today is a complex and diverse one. There is the need to be technology savy and be an informed information specialist rather than just promoting reading and loaning books out. Wow, my knowledge of the TLs role is so severely lacking based on these readings and I wonder how on earth does a TL manage to fit all this into one day, a week, a month or even a year.
Henri's (2005) article was significant for me in regard to the role TLs role. The article highlighted the need for TL and the need for a clear collaborative role statement.
When reading about Kuhlthua's inhibitors and enablers I could clearly see and place my current school. It is quite clear that there is a strong need for qualified TL specialist for schools to deliver quality education to students. To do so, all stakeholders need to work collaboratively.
Henri also highlights highlights the difference between knowledge and information. An information literate school (ILS) supports students in learning how to turn information into knowledge. This is part of the role of a TL where he/she provides strategies for helping students become information literate, as well as educating staff to be information literate themselves. I think this is one of the greatest skills a TL can impart to students - turning information into knowledge.
TLs, in fostering an ILSC, needs to support teachers in their endeavour to utilise good quality information resources , provide opportunities for students and teacher to access ICT. In my school I feel this is one area that needs to be addressed. TL-led professional development for staff in informing and demonstrating to staff the available resources, in particular the online resources such as World Book online, Ebscohost and other online resources. This assists to ensure staff and ultimately students are accessing up to date information and resources. The TL needs to ensure and encourage collaboration between teachers, administration, other library staff and themselves.
I am working in an non-collaborative school environment, as such we don't have any time to run (or plan) units of work with teachers. This kind of structure is not built into my school's functions. I do hope that in future that I can advocate for the library to that we can become a collaborative resourced based learning environment. I acknowledge that this will take time. As Oberg (2006) suggests that TLs need to know and promote the school's goals and visions and that the principal needs to understand that TLs are valuable resource assets in order to build a strong team. Ultimately, gaining the principals support and respect is the first step for TL in developing a plan to become a collaborative school.
No comments:
Post a Comment