As I read through the material on TLs and the role of principals in creating ILSC I am so totally saddened by the situation at my current school - the only school I have taught at in 9 years.
The readings indicate that the role between TL and principals in creating an ILSC should be a dynamic one. My principal shows little regard for the modern-day role of TL in today's technically-advanced schools. He demonsrates little knowledge or understanding of what an effective TL can offer students and staff. Myself, and my colleague, are limited to the reading programme for the Years 7 and 8 classes and there is NO time allocated at all for information literacy. Therefore I believe that he holds the stereotypical image of TLs, where they instruct on reading and other library duties. It is lucky for us that he is leaving mid year. He has his own set ideas for the library - that it is one where the students read and get a few books and turning the library into a quasi-computer lab.
Once he leaves mid year will be our opportunity to discuss our ideas to the acting principal to inform him of the potential use of TLs and what we can bring to the school in order to foster and enhance student learning. This way we might be able to gain the acting principal's support and hopefully enable the school to become an ILSC.
From anecdotal evidence many schools appear to work distantly with the TL rather than collaboratively. Principal support can help with promotion and set guidelines for all teachers to adhere to in terms of minimum standards for collaboration. This I consider would be led by a proactive principal. In cases where the principal is not as supportive, TLs need to promote their value and worth to the school community including the principal. Like I said earlier offering professional development is an example of allowing a better collaborative partnership to develop.
No comments:
Post a Comment