Saturday, July 25, 2009

My opinion of Wikipedia Topic 2 501

While the concept of Wikipedia is a good one, allowing anyone to edit information, I am most concerned about its accuracy and reliability as an information source. I question whether many contributors to Wikipedia actually have their facts checked and/or supported by primary evidence.
What concerns me me as a teacher and a TL in training is that students think that they can just use Wikipedia as their primary source of information and believe it is accurate, like World Book Encyclopedia. I have advised students in the past to not use Wikipedia, but to use more reliable and credible sources of information for research purposes. If students did use Wikipedia I would advise them to carefully check the article's references provided by the editors of the site to help assist students to find accurate information.

No comments:

Post a Comment