Saturday, July 25, 2009

What is Leadership? 504

Leadership. What is it?

Leadership to me involves individuals who have particular experience and expertise in an area in which they lead, therefore commanding a certain level of respect. They have a passion, enthusiasm and vision for the area they lead (or the organisation or project) and communicate those attribute to the members of their teams. Leaders should motivate and inspire others under their leadership to actively participate. They work hard and lead by example. They listen to advice, feedback and criticism. They are able to incoroprate new ideas into their vision, are flexible, responsibe adn able to change as necessary. Importantly leaders must be excellent communicators by listening to others, providing feedback through positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. Leaders need to be respectful of others in order to gain the respect from members of their teams. Leaders combine a clear statement of prupose with an ability to adapt as circumestances require.

Great leaders allow members of their organisation to develop their skills, meet their potential, and move into leadership roles. Their members share, and contribute to, the vision, values and goals of the organisation. Leaders continue to learn, grow and develop, and so do their organisations and members. They are organised, allowing them to be both focussed, and able to see the big picture. Leaders don't get stuck on details, they are able to move foward. Great leaders don't plow over the top of everyone else in the process. Leaders sometimes lead from the front, sometimes 'muck in' in the middle, and sometimes bring up the rear, making sure that noone gets left behind.


Leaders need to be able to make hard decisions and know that sometimes 'the buck stops here'.
Most importantly, leaders need to know which of these myriad skills are needed when, and respond approriately to constantly changing circumstances.
Leadership is a hard gig!

Effective leaders treats his/her team fairly and impartially. A leader needs to be able to distinguish the line between leadership and friendship in the workplace. A true leader doesn't let friendships distract them from the job that needs to be done.

What about me?
Simply virtue of the fact that I am both a parent and a teacher, I am a leader. I wouldn't say I've had a lot of experince as a leader as such. I can recall being a VCE homeroom teacher, and a leader in my exam setting panel.

What is it about me that makes me a natural leader? What qualities do I have? I think the most obvious are:

  • Optimism, vision, passion and enthusiasm. If I'm involved in something, it's because I truly believe in its importance.
  • Ideas. I'm good at coming up with new ideas and different ways of looking at things. I'm good at playing devil's advocate, asking the hard questions, and looking more deeply at issues than others perhaps would otherwise.
  • Work ethic. I'm responsible and get things done.
  • Communication. I'm a good talker (!) but I'm also a good listener. I really want to know what others think and what their ideas are. I really want to incorporate as much good stuff as possible.

What makes a good leader? Fair and partial treatment to those being led. The ability to create a line between friendship and leadership within your group and keeping on the leadership side of it. Not allowing your personal feelings about those you are leading color your opinion in a personal manner i.e. person in your area may rub you the wrong way, but it is a personality issue, not a job issue. Just because you won't be that person's "good buddy" after work doesn't mean that person can't get the job done.

Leadership in the context of the role of the teacher librarian… What do I know? Where am I starting from?
Observationally, leadership in general has been an interesting sideline to my teaching career- one that I have not felt a necessity to engage with on anything but a superficial level . Former principals and other executive members have provided a varying range of leadership models- some could even be classified as non leadership models. One principal who believed in the top-down management style where all decision making lay based in the person at the helm- being him. A stifling style that suppressed initiative, innovation and even freedom of speech!

Other principals who believed in a much more collaborative approach- where it was acknowledged that ultimate decision making lay in his or her hands but where all ideas could be presented and fairly considered in a democratic and nurturing environment. Similarly, my experience of executive members has been varied. Those who are at pains to create a dynamic, highly visible and welcoming environment where all participants felt valued and supported, to those who spend large amounts of time in the confines of their classrooms or with superiors in executive meetings behind closed doors hatching personal agendas that do not reflect a consensus approach to any degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment