Monday August 17 8pm was the time for Group 31s Skype (3rd meeting) for the preparation of Assignment 1 504. This session involved us to discuss and come up with a more defined topic related to learning outcome 2 on leadership and decision making for the role of the TL. During our discussion we were able to work on a topic - at the time I remember thinking it was a bit broad and trying to cover too much. But it's only early stages yet, and I know that our topic will be refined further as we move forward. Much discussion occurred during the 80 minute session - in between sound issues every now and again. This blog, being an open forum, I don't want to go into too much detail about our topic. It was great to see once we had come up with a topic and further brainstormed ideas we were able to come up with sub-headings which may help define our assignment. With the areas divided up group members nominated areas in which to investigate further. I think at the start everyone was a little bit wary about jumping in and picking an area of their pleasing. Deep down I new what area I wanted to cover and hoped that others would choose areas they liked. When it came to the larger area I nominated myself to cover the area I'm researching further on collaboration. I'm happy with that, it's certainly an area I feel comfortable with. During the session I took comprehensive notes and was more than willing to arrange our discussion into a proposal that I could email Roy with.
On Wednesday Aug 19, I Skyped Roy to follow up on our group's proposal. After a 40 minute discussion, my initial thoughts of our topic being way too big for 15 slides was quickly realised. He confirmed that our topic relating to collaboration should be the focus, or some other major function of the TL. Thanks to Roy's help I emailed a comprehensive summary of the discussion I had with Roy. As it turned out Rebecca, I think, too thought our topic was too broad. At least we as a group can refocus our topic with the invaluable feedback Roy provided.
In terms of leadership I'm wondering whether our group needs a leader. At the start I think I was perhaps the one making and organising contact times. But I am wary of stepping on other people's toes. But based on our readings in this subject all groups need leaders and I'm wondering whether our group needs one to ensure the continued momentum and maintaining morale towards the completion of this group task, especially for all four of us as we have 501 Information Environment due the week before this task. Maybe in our next meeting I should bring that point up. After all we are learning about effective teamwork, leadership and decision making, so maybe we need to practice what we are learning about.
No comments:
Post a Comment