Friday, August 14, 2009

Organisational Theory &, Burdekin article & group work

I am already AMAZED at how my thinking has changed about several things:

Even after one group discussion, I can see how group planning of a task is so effective in focusing thoughts, setting goals, rethinking ideas, delegating tasks, sharing problems, refining writing etc.

Being introduced to one simple web tool such as Google Docs has opened my eyes to the possibilities such tools offer, and we are just using this at the simplest level!! There is potential there for use with students that I am sure will be engaging and motivating for them.

And SKYPE! Well, what I can I say! This assignment could not have been done without it. IT was the key to our group's communication. WE managed to get though a group conference with only a few technical hiccups.

My readings, how they apply to practice and critical reflections:

The readings 3 and 7 were the most useful to me .
Reading 3 (Harvey, Bearley and Corkrum) relates to decision making and problem solving, but has implications for strategic planning. I would make use of the concept map at the end to help guide a plan for change. The plan would need to begin with a clear vision or mission statement , with an emphasis on anticipated outcomes and everyone would need to understand and support those outcomes. Decisions can then be based on this foundation and would be a base for the strategic plan.

Reading 7 (Cheng, YC, 2002) is very useful and clearly defines aspects of leadership. This is very relevant to our assignment brief as it specifically discusses paradigm shifts in education, notes the rapidly changing environment of schools and I believe no more so than in the provision of learning resources by the TL. There is a section entitled “resource developer” that specifically discusses the TLs role as resource developer and distributor. These resources support effective teaching and learning in general, but more so the Quality Teaching strategies schools seek to implement.

From CSU reserve, the Burdekin Leadership and the Teacher Librarian (1997) reading has a good explanation about the various levels of power and of leadership. I agree with Burdekin’s suggestion that the empowering of others is the true role of a leader, rather than a leader exercising power. Leaders can come from all levels within the organisation and in practice this includes the TL in a primary school (provided they have the skills, knowledge and expertise). The TLs then are able to “position themselves to be an integral part of changes that face schools” and their power can be viewed as their capacity to translate intentions for improvement into reality and then sustain that growth. I particularly can see a use for his 5 steps for effective visioning – valuing, reflection, articulation, planning, action. I would see these as the initial steps to be taken in strategic planning for change in my school.

In conjunction with a strategic plan for change, sections from Adaptive Leadership on the Saskatchewan Education website at http://ww.sasked.gov.sk.ca/branches/pol_eval/school_plus/ refer to action research as a plan-act-observe-reflect cycle. Leaders see and identify gaps between what they see happening in their school and what they would like to see happening, then see possibilities for improved teaching and learning. Plans are made and action research is one of the planning strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment