Thursday, October 29, 2009

Conflict Resolution and TLs 504

I have just found an interesting website that discusses conflict resolution. It raises many interesting and relevant points:

Effective conflict resolution skills can make the difference between positive and negative outcomes.

Positive:
  • you can solve many of the problems it has brought to the surface, as well as getting benefits you might not at first expect: increased understanding; increased group cohesion; improved self-knowledge.

Negative:

  • If conflict is not handled effectively, conflicting goals can turn into personal dislike; teamwork breaks down; talent is wasted as people disengage from their work;you end up in a spiral of negativity and recrimination.

An interesting theory called the "Interest-Based Relational (IBR) Approach" was then discussed. It respects individual differences while helping people avoid becoming too entrenched in a fixed position. In resolving conflict using this approach, you follow these rules:

1. Make sure that good relationships are the first priority.
2. Keep people and problems separate
3. Pay attention to the interests that are being presented: By listening carefully you'll most-likely understand why the person is adopting his or her position;
4. Listen first; talk second: To solve a problem effectively you have to understand where the other person is coming from before defending your own position;
5. Set out the “Facts”: Agree and establish the objective, observable elements that will have an impact on the decision; and
6. Explore options together: Be open to the idea that a third position may exist, and that you can get to this idea jointly.

It makes a lot of sense in terms of the role of a teacher librarian. We have to develop good relationships with many different kinds of people, and work hard to keep these relationships.
Many times conflicts have arisen because of personal differences. It is definitely important for a tl to concentrate on what is being said, not on who the person is that is causing the conflict. Sometimes a disagreement is just that. It is not always a personal vendetta!

Again the idea of listen first is raised. I can't stress enough the importance of this point.
I am really learning a lot about conflict resolution and the role it plays in the communication process. I still don't really know though if I am relating it to the teacher librarian correctly. Do I try to transfer the theories and models so that they relate to the role of the librarian? I seem to be repeating a lot of the same things. But maybe that is my learning. Realising the similarities and things that will work in order to resolve conflicts.

Mindtools website:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_81.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment