Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Conflict resolution for assignment 2

I have been thinking about which sub-topics to choose for the final assignment (part 2). Under the umbrella of Communication, I have settled for either Conflict Resolution or Negotiation. On first consideration I feel it will be quite hard to separate them. In order to resolve conflicts, some negotiation has to take place. Anyway I'm sure it won't matter if I blur the edges a little.

Conflict resolution: Before I go and read any material on these topics, I thought it would be good to think about what I already know about Conflict Resolution.

I think there is a need to have conflict resolution strategies in any situation really. From children at school solving conflicts with friends, through to big corporate companies resolving conflicting issues. I am sure there is a lot of material that tries to 'teach' us how to solve conflicts or even avoid having to solve any conflict.In my experience, the best way to solve a problem is firstly through talking and also listening to the opinion of others. This is important in any context. Put your opinion on the table and be able to say why you think this way. Then this is where the lines blur. I believe once everyone has stated their opinion, then the negotiations need to start.

As far as relating to the teacher librarian, I can think of many ways that a TL may be involved in some form of conflict resolution.
  • sorting a problem between students
  • solving an issue of conflict between a student and themselves
  • during collaboration meetings with other staff
  • during general staff meetings
  • during any committee they may be a member of
  • trying to plan and implement change in the library or school
  • during any meeting with executive teachers or the principal


My aim for this assignment will be to explore these issues and find out which (if any) are relevant and use my readings and any other info I can find to put these ideas into perspective.
I will aim to find and dissect models on conflict resolution and adapt their principles to the topic of teacher librarian as leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment