Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thoughts about Leadership styles Fullan Ch 3 Reflection 504

I must say that I haven't been so confronted before with so many types of leadership as presented by Fullan (2004). Not only are there different types of leaders but in order to be the most effective leader possible you have to have an understanding of all types and know when and when not to use each style. Not one leadership style works best all the time (Fullan, 2004).

This chapter was an eye opener for me and also difficult as I am not good at certain certain styles of leadership as some styles come more naturally to me than others. But it seems time now to throw away lack of ability in all styles and begin learning more about them in all and gaining maturity in when to use each one - to employ the right leadership style for the particular situation.

It has been interesting to consider just how varying leaders can be. Different types of leaders i.e. principals in the same school can drastically change the overall environment and atmosphere. There are all these different types of leaders that we as employees are at the mercy of the style of leadership that is allowed to operate.

Leadership can make a difference to staff moral and work ethic. We are at the mercy of whatever leadership we are under.

What surprises me is that the less desirable styles of leadership can still obtain positions of power - this occurs in my school in POL positions. It makes me wonder those in employing/promoting leaders be equipped to understand who they are employing.

As an up and coming leader I need to ensure I have a well-rounded leadership style and understand the differences between these leadership styles. I need adaptable leadership styles and apply the right leadership strategy to the situation presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment